Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day 75: 10, 9, 8, 7...

I can now count the days I have left on my hands and I don't like it. I still have so much I have to do and now I am running out of time to do it. Mostly, I need to go shopping for souvenirs and gifts to bring back home. I know the more I put it off, the more stressful it's going to be to accomplish but I was hoping to wait for the most opportune time. It will probably be early next week. Don't worry, I will get it done but procrastination is at its worst at the moment... Hold the phone, my boss just told me the 9th of December can be my last day so I actually have 3 open days to shop before I leave! YAY!

Most of the time for work, I sit at a desk all day on my computer. This of course is just part of the job and there's not much I can do about it. But if I am given the opportunity to get out and do something, I will take it. Last Thursday I had one of those opportunities. A couple of the staff were planning a trip to one of the markets to order and pick up a bunch of school supplies to give to some of the children supported by COCD. When I say some I mean 300+ students! The only supplies we picked up on the trip were the backpacks....300+ backpacks. The thousands of notebooks, pencils, and other stationary items were ordered and would be delivered to our office the next day.

This shopping experience was quite unlike anything you would or could ever experience shopping in the United States or many developed countries. We went to Orussey Market, which was my first trip there. This is not a supermarket. It is just like any of the other markets here in Phnom Penh with the exception of it being in a multi-story building. It is full of packed stalls selling anything from food to bags to clothes to dictionaries. Our trip into the market was quite the adventure and for me it was full of patience, frustration, and laughs. Was it worth getting out of the office to experience a different part of working at COCD? Yes it was. Was it easy? Of course not. 

Some of the COCD staff at Orussey: Loem E, Thy, and Kimchhea


The inside of the stationary stall was absolutely packed with supplies. The pictures do it no justice.

Kimchhea and Thy bargaining with the seller.

Here's another look inside Psaa Orussey

So I went with my friend Sophorn to Boeung Keng Kang Market last weekend (my first time there too) to get our nails painted (I got my finger nails and toe nails done for $2 TOTAL). Sophorn hadn't had lunch yet so we stopped at a food stall first. There she got duck eggs...but not any ordinary eggs. These duck eggs were fertilized so there is a duck embryo inside...I say I'll try anything and I did try it, but just one bite. This was probably twice as difficult to eat as the tarantula.. and my friend loves them!

Saturday night I started out on a boat birthday party with some lovely friends, Marta and Naret :)

So this was actually taken about a month ago but I figured I should probably share. I joined my supervisor Kimna and an Australian staff from COCD, Rachel, for a pancake/cake breakfast at Rachel's house one Sunday. Australians have this spread called Vegemite which is a HUGE staple item (kind of like ranch dressing). They put it on everything! So since I was at an Australian's house, I, of course, was forced into trying some. This was my before product advertisement photo and after trying it... I have to admit... I wasn't a fan. It had a really odd taste and was super salty. Sorry Rachel! :P

Even with only a few days left in Cambodia, the adventure is not over! I have some exciting plans for the weekend but I'll not spoil anything until after my trip. But to be honest...I'm not quite sure what's going to happen on this trip! We will both have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment